Skip to main content
About Us / COVID-19 / How to get your Paycheck Protection Program Loan Forgiven

How to get your Paycheck Protection Program Loan Forgiven

SBA PPP Logo

Up to 100% of your Paycheck Protection Program loan is eligible for forgiveness, meaning that you don’t have to repay it, if you meet the conditions required by the SBA. The amount of forgiveness is based on the amount of loan proceeds that you use to cover payroll costs, utilities, rent and mortgage interest obligations over the 8-week period after the loan is made. The details of the forgiveness program are still being finalized, and we expect more guidance from the SBA soon. The information presented here is based on what we know today.

For your loan to be forgivable, you must use at least 75% of the proceeds for payroll costs. The remaining 25% can be used on utilities, rent and mortgage interest obligations that were in effect before February 15, 2020. The total amount forgiven may be reduced if your full-time employee headcount declines or if the salaries and wages that you pay your employees decrease. Keep in mind that the calculation methodology for forgiveness is solely dictated by SBA and federal rules, regulations, and laws, and is not dictated by the policies, procedures, or guidelines of The Farmers Bank. We fully expect more detailed guidance prior to your actual forgiveness calculation.

WHAT IS INCLUDED IN FORGIVABLE PAYROLL COSTS?

The following compensation is considered eligible payroll costs under the PPP program:

  • Salary, wages and tips (up to $100,000 of annualized pay per employee)
  • Health care expenses
  • Retirement contributions
  • State taxes imposed on employee payroll paid by the employer (e.g., unemployment insurance premiums)
  • For businesses that report on IRS Form 1040, Schedule C: Owner compensation replacement (based on 2019 net profit and subject to conditions and requirements)

WHAT ARE FORGIVABLE MORTGAGE AND RENT OBLIGATIONS?

Interest payments on your business’s mortgage or rent payments made during the 8-week period after you receive the loan proceeds are eligible for forgiveness. A couple of things to note:

  • Only mortgage interest payments, not principal payments, are eligible
  • Mortgage or lease agreements must have been in effect prior to February 15, 2020

WHAT ARE COVERED UTILITY PAYMENTS?

Payments for a service for the distribution of electricity, gas, water, transportation, telephone or internet access. The services must have been in place before February 15, 2020.

WHAT IF MY LOAN IS NOT COMPLETELY FORGIVEN?

If your loan is not completely forgiven, the remaining balance, including interest, will amortize over 18 months. This will operate just like a traditional loan with monthly payments.

WHAT DOCUMENTATION WILL I NEED TO PROVIDE THE FARMERS BANK TO BE APPROVED FOR FORGIVENESS?

The Farmers Bank will request the supporting documentation, as determined by the SBA, and will submit that directly to the SBA on your behalf.

As a part of the application for the PPP loan, each borrower has already provided The Farmers Bank certain payroll documentation used to calculate the dollar amount of your loan. Additional documentation including covered mortgage interest payments, covered rent payments, covered utilities for the loan, and other supporting documentation will be required at the time of your request for forgiveness.

Any request for forgiveness must be accompanied with supporting documentation similar in form and fashion to the original documents you submitted, as well as any other tax filings, cancelled checks and additional information The Farmers Bank or the SBA may request.

This information is subject to SBA guidance and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to www.SBA.gov or https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/cares/assistance-for-small-businesses for the most up to date information. Terms and conditions are subject to change.